Mint Snowman Marshmallows
- vegetable oil for brushing the pan
- 1 tbsp gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- powdered sugar
- orange candy melts, as needed
- chocolate, as needed
- Oil a 9-inch square pan or glass baking dish with non-stick spray and lightly dust with powdered sugar. In a small bowl, soak the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Set aside. Place the remaining 1/4 cup of water and sugar in a pot and stir to dissolve over medium heat. Add the gelatin and bring to a hard boil, without stirring, for one minute or until it reaches 240°F. Carefully remove from the heat and pour in to a bowl of an electric mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and peppermint extract.
- Beat with the whisk attachment of the electric mixer on low for 2 minutes then increase to high until soft and doubled in volume, about 10-15 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth with a offset spatula. Cool in the pan uncovered, until firm, minimum 3 hours. Lightly dust the top with sifted powdered sugar.
- Use a small round cookie cutter to cut out snowmen heads. Dust with powdered sugar and pipe on eyes, mouths and noses with melted chocolate and melted orange melts. Enjoy as is or in hot chocolate!