- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses (unsulfered)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, baking soda, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, molasses, and vanilla to the mixture and beat in until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix in until a thick dough comes together. Press the dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough, lightly dust with flour, and place it in between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Pull away the top sheet of parchment paper. Cut desired shapes out of dough and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Baking time will depend on the size of the cookies you are baking, anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes. When the cookies are golden brown around the edges, they are done. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet. Decorate as desired.