French Onion Soup
- 3 Tablespoons Butter (olive oil is also an option)
- 6 Sweet Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 4 cups Beef Stock
- Crusty Bread
- Havarti Cheese, sliced
- Melt butter on medium heat in a dutch oven or stock pot.
- Cut the onions in half and thinly slice. Add to the melted butter along with the garlic, black pepper, sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions have cooked down significantly and are well caramelized. If you notice the onions starting to burn at any point, turn the heat down. Cooking the onions slowly will develop good color and in turn, give your soup more flavor.
- Once the onions are caramelized, add the thyme and flour and stir well. Let cook for another two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beef stock and bring to a simmer. Let soup simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thick and glossy.
- Check seasoning and add more salt, if needed.
- Ladle soup into soup mugs and top with a slice of bread and cheese. Place on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.