- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 5 Dyed Easter Eggs
- In a small bowl, proof yeast in 1/2 cup warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon of sugar. While yeast is proofing, mix flour, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, mix remaining 1/4 cup of water, honey, oil, and eggs. Once yeast has finished proofing, add it to the flour, followed by the wet ingredients. Mix with a large wooden spoon until dough becomes too thick to stir. Empty dough onto well-floured surface and knead by hand. Knead dough until smooth and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed, about 7-10 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for about two hours, or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375° F. Divide dough into three equal parts and then roll each part into a 1-foot log, then braid the logs. Arrange the braid in a circle and decorate with the easter eggs. Place the loaf on a parchment-lined baking sheet and then brush with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is golden brown and the bread is cooked through.