Creamy Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen...thaw if using frozen)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 large Anaheim Chili, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 4 Corn tortillas, torn into large pieces
- 2½ tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 28 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 8 cups Chicken Stock (use vegetable stock to keep the soup vegan) Top with shredded seasoned chicken (omit to keep vegan), salsa, sour cream (omit to keep vegan), Lime wedges, and cilantro.
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot on medium/high heat.
- Add the corn, garlic, onion, jalapeno, and Anaheim chili to the pot. Saute for 8-10 minutes, or until peppers and onions are soft. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the corn tortillas, ½ of the diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, and 6 cups of the chicken stock to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat.
- Working in batches, if needed, pour the soup into a blender and puree until velvety smooth. Depending on your blender this may take more or less time. I use a vitamix and I puree the soup for at least 1 minute at a moderately high speed. If you are using a conventional blender you may need to puree the soup for longer to achieve a perfectly smooth texture.
- Pour the soup back into the stock pot and add the remaining ½ of the tomatoes and the remaining 2 cups of broth. Bring to a simmer. Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and top with salsa, cilantro, lime wedges, shredded chicken, and sour cream (omit the sour cream and chicken to keep vegan).