Rhubarb Mint Mojito
For the rhubarb mint simple syrup:
- 2 cups roughly chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint
For the cocktail:
- few sprigs fresh mint
- 1.5 oz rhubarb mint simple syrup
- 2 oz lime juice
- 1.5 oz white rum
- splash soda water
- 1 stalk of rhubarb, for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine rhubarb with sugar, water, and mint. Once it comes to a boil, turn mixture to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve, removing all of the solids so you're left with a bright pink simple syrup. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the cocktail, place a few sprigs of fresh mint in the bottom of a farmhouse rocks glass. Muddle using the farmhouse muddler, then top with crushed ice. Pour in rhubarb mint simple syrup, lime juice, and rum, then top with a splash of soda water.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel one stalk of rhubarb into fine ribbons. Curl into a spiral to shape the rhubarb, then use as a garnish along with more mint and a few lime wedges.
Tip: keep the simple syrup in a mason jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.