Chicken & Mushroom Pot Pies
- 8 Chicken Thighs, bone-in
- 4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 4 T. Butter
- 1 Red Onion, diced(large)
- 1 large Celery Root, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 4 stalks Celery, sliced
- 1 lb. Mushrooms, cut in half and then thickly sliced
- 1 T. chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1 T. chopped Fresh Thyme
- ⅓ Cup Flour
- 3 Cup Chicken Broth(reserved from cooking juices)
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 package frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Chicken
- Place the chicken thighs, chicken broth, thyme and rosemary sprigs in a crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly and then remove the bones and cartilage.
- Shred the chicken just slightly and set aside.
- Strain the broth in the base of the crock pot and set aside as well.
For the Filling
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium/high heat. Add the onion, celery root, and celery , along with a pinch or two of coarse salt, and sauté 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Reduce heat to medium if the vegetables brown too quickly(however a little color development is fine!).
- Add the chopped herbs and mushrooms to the vegetables and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the flour to the vegetables, stirring to coat and allow to cook for 1 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth to the vegetables and stir well until it thickens and the sauce is smooth. Add the remaining 2 cups of broth and stir until combined and smooth. Allow the filling to simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Add the cream to the filling. Check the seasonings and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the chicken into the filling and stir very gently, evenly distributing the chicken through the sauce (don't stir too much or the chicken will shred into strings). Keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut four large circles out of each sheet of puff pastry for a total of eight puff pastry circles and place on the baking sheet, leaving an inch of space in between each circle.
- Brush the tops of the puff pastry circles with the beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown on top.
- Fill the Mini Classic Pie Dishes with the chicken mushroom filling and top each dish with a puff pastry circle.
- We'd love to see your creation! Share your photos with us on Instagram with #farmhousepottery.